Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Word Play

It occurred to me today that anytime anyone disagrees with the popular cultural sentiment, the dissenter is automatically labeled a "bigot" a "hater" or "phobic". Is it no longer feasible to respectfully disagree with someone? Isn't it still possible to love someone who has an opinion or even a worldview that differs from one's own?


There are times when my husband, my children, or my closest friends and I disagree even after thoughtful conversations during which we've heard and understood each other's perspectives. In fact, there are times that I disagree with myself. (I want to be disciplined and resist that second bowl of ice cream but, it's just so good...)

The truth is that, in none of these scenarios is there any love lost. Disagreement doesn't equal hatred. Nor, does it equal fear. In fact, it takes courage to go against the tide. But, love speaks up.

"Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free" John 8:32

No comments:

Post a Comment