Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Spring

After an unusually cold and seemingly extended winter, I was drawn into the garden last week by the warm, sunny weather. I wanted to assess winter's toll on the plants and see if anything interesting was coming to life. The daffodils that bloomed a few weeks prior were reaching the end of their time on stage but were still upright, having yet to take their final bow. The hydrangeas were exhibiting leafy, greenness near their bases. And, though the winter Daphne did not bloom this year, they have matured and survived the cold. Having already resigned myself to the loss of my beautiful lavender plant, and my fuschia, I went to have a last look. The skeletal remains of the lavender confirmed my belief that it had indeed lost the fight. The fuschia however, to my surprise, had begun to unfurl tiny green leaves at its base. New Life! Where there had been death!


I love how the natural mirrors the spiritual; How God reveals Himself (the unseen) in the things that are seen (Romans 1:18-20). And I love how He takes those things that we have surrendered to death, believing them lost to the biting cold winter of our trials, and speaks life causing them to blossom once more. For our heavenly Father has declared, "Behold I make all things new..." (Revelation 21:5). That is spring, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment