Friday, April 16, 2010

Flashback

Last night I decided to tackle a bit of organizing in the garage. While I was digging through some boxes that needed sorting, I came across an old diary of mine that I'd started in 1982, when I was twelve years old. So, I put it aside to read when I'd finished the project for the evening. I am so glad that I did.

I was both amused and humbled by the words contained in that little book. I laughed at the detailed minutia of my daily adolescent existence, which included everything from what I wore and ate that day, to verbatim conversations that had played out some twenty-eight years ago. I blushed, embarrassed by my intense interest in the opposite sex, and the fickleness of my many crushes. But most of all, I was humbled by God's grace and thankful that my loving Saviour took my young heart, redirected my gaze, and began this life-long process of transforming it to resemble His. For, during those awkward years of self-discovery, I had also discovered Christ.

I am so glad that I held onto the words that I had penned at that age; that early view from inside my head that now seems foreign to me. It is a precious thing to recall where God has brought me from. And, like Paul, I am convinced that "He who began a good work in (me) will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."(Philippians 1:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment